In my first episode of Lost and Founder of 2022, I talk about how I’m getting through the darkest month of the year, and why January can actually be a great time reflect, reset, and build a stronger you for the year ahead.
I always find January a tough month — all the fun and excitement of Christmas and new years is over, the weather is awful, it’s dark outside, and to top it all off we’re still in the midst of a global pandemic.
But fear not, there’s a world of opportunity out there! I’m spending some time at the start of January to reflect on 2021. I’m not setting myself huge audacious goals because I don’t know what the future holds, and I know the chances of success are low unless I use my previous experience to inform my future actions.
Don’t get caught up in all the “new year, new you” nonsense — be careful what you read on social media! Instead, look at yourself, spend time reflecting on your own successes and where things could have gone better, and use that to channel your next steps as you enter the new year.
Actions / take aways
- Go easy on yourself — the last two years have been hard on all of us.
- It’s never too late to reflect — if you haven’t already, you still have time to reflect on 2021.
- You don’t have to make new years resolutions — instead get clearer on your values.
- If you are clear on your values, channel your thinking around small habits you can adopt day by day rather than setting huge unwieldy goals.
- Give yourself something to look forward to at the end of January — like a trip to somewhere you like, a gift to yourself, or some other treat.
Thanks, and see you next time!